Thursday, January 30, 2014
Saturday, January 25, 2014
Friday, January 24, 2014
Wednesday, January 22, 2014
Prepare this hearty soup recipe in your slow cooker on those busy days when you don't have time to fuss with dinner. Sprinkle with bacon when serving.
Creamed Chicken and Corn Soup
ounces skinless, boneless chicken thighs
26 ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup
14 3/4 ounce can cream-style corn
14 ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
cup chopped carrot (2 medium)
cup finely chopped onion (1 large)
cup frozen whole kernel corn
cup chopped celery (1 stalk)
slices bacon, crisp-cooked, drained, and crumbled
- In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine chicken, chicken soup, cream-style corn, chicken broth, carrot, onion, frozen corn, celery, and water.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2-1/2 to 3 hours.
- Remove chicken from cooker; cool slightly. Chop chicken; stir chopped chicken into soup in cooker. Sprinkle each serving with bacon. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
This is just for you Jean.
The peanut butter base of this soup gives it a pleasantly nutty flavor.
15 ounce can no-salt-added red beans, rinsed and drained
cups peeled, cubed sweet potatoes (about 1 pound)
ounces boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
ounces boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
14 1/2 ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
cups chopped green sweet peppers (2 large)
14 1/2 ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
10 ounce can tomatoes and chopped green chiles, undrained
tablespoon Cajun seasoning
cloves garlic, minced
cup creamy peanut butter
Snipped fresh cilantro
Chopped peanuts (optional)
- In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker combine beans, sweet potatoes, chicken, broth, sweet peppers, diced tomatoes, tomatoes and green chiles, Cajun seasoning, and garlic.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours.
- Remove 1 cup hot liquid from cooker. Whisk in peanut butter. Stir into mixture in cooker.
- Serve topped with cilantro and, if desired, peanuts.
Saturday, January 18, 2014
Friday, January 17, 2014
Strawberry Cheesecake Bites
cups shortbread cookie crumbs (about 30 square cookies)
tablespoons butter, melted
8 ounce packages cream cheese, softened
cup all-purpose flour
cup sour cream
cups sour cream
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with heavy-duty foil or parchment paper, leaving 1 inch of foil hanging over edges of pan; set aside. For Shortbread Crust, in a medium bowl combine crushed cookies and 1 Tbsp. sugar. Stir in melted butter until combined. Press mixture into the bottom of prepared pan.
- For Filling, in a very large bowl beat the cream cheese and sugar with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until fluffy. Beat in flour until combined. Add eggs and vanilla; beat on low speed until just combined. Stir in sour cream. Pour filling in crust-lined pan. Bake for 40 minutes.
- For Sour Cream Honey Topper, in a medium bowl stir together sour cream, honey, and vanilla. Remove cheesecake from oven. Spread mixture over hot cheesecake. Bake for 10 minutes more. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 1 hour. Cover; chill at least 4 hours.
- Use foil to lift uncut bars from pan. Cut into 54 bites. Top each square with a strawberry slice. If desired, drizzle with additional honey.
Thursday, January 16, 2014
Tuesday, January 14, 2014
Sister Jean sent this book recommendation to me and thought it would be good for the church to read and apply to our lives!! Check it out. It can be found on Amazon.