.

.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Overtaken By God's Blessings!

Psalm 23:6 (KJV)
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

The word follow is from the Hebrew word RADAPH and means, "to run after; to chase; to pursue." In other words, God's goodness and mercy run after me, chase me, and pursue me! WOW! My Shepherd really does love me. I may never shake hands with a celebrity, I may never be on the top 500 wealthiest people list, but my Shepherd's goodness and mercy overtake me!

And notice, God's blessings don't just pursue me temporarily, but ALL THE DAYS OF MY LIFE! When I'm going through the valley of the shadow of death, my Shepherd's goodness and mercy are still chasing me. When I'm led into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil, my Shepherd's goodness and mercy run after me. When I'm rejected and betrayed and wounded in the house of those who claim to be friends, my Shepherd's goodness and mercy pursue me.

That's why I can wake up every day, regardless of circumstances, and declare, "This is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it!" I make a conscience effort to rejoice each day regardless of where I am or what I'm going through. Realizing that His blessings follow me every day gives me the strength to press on. After all, the joy of the Lord is my strength, and I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Besides, His peace passes all understanding, and His joy is unspeakable and full of glory. Oh, and His hope is eternal and never disappoints. His love is everlasting, His mercy endures to all generations, and His truth endures forever. I have many reasons to be glad and rejoice! And for the record, no celebrity, employer, or politician has ever done this much for me - nor will they.

Friend, you may be reading this blog and be under the stress of life, wearied by your trek in the wilderness, but let me encourage you to turn around - goodness and mercy are hot on your trail - you are about to be overtaken by God's blessings!

But wait: there's more!

David ends this most famous of psalms with these words, "and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever." Now, unless one retires from all everything and goes to live like a monk in a monastery, isn't this impossible?

NO!

Why? Because we are the temple of the Holy Ghost; that's why!

And even though David was under the Old Covenant, he had a clear understanding of the New Covenant. Maybe even better than some today who profess Christianity with their lips but deny Christ with their lifestyles. Could this be why David was a man after God's own heart, to do all God's will? I think so.

Church is not something I do or attend. I am the church! On the way to work, I can celebrate in the presence of the Lord. I can use my couch in my living room as an altar for prayer. I can reflect God's glory and grace in the grocery store. In other words, I can (and will) dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life!

He pursues me daily with goodness and mercy, I choose to pursue His presence in order to worship and adore Him. He's done more for me than anyone. He saved me. He healed me. He forgave me. He set me up on the Rock. I've got a right to praise Him, and I will exercise that right daily!